Now. New. Next – that was Deutsche Telekom's motto at this year's Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona from February 26 to March 1. Based on the network of the future, Deutsche Telekom showcased new solutions and vision for today's and tomorrow's smart society. Mobile World Congress attracts many visitors, mainly from the higher management levels, to come to Barcelona from all over the world. More than 108.000 attendees travelled to MWC in the past year, to meet their business partners and learn about current trends in mobility. Despite digital channels available for gathering together and gaining new insights from the congress, the event attracted many visitors who travelled to Barcelona. This means that logistics and transport remain very important, inevitable but costly way to support business despite the digitalization trend. The question remains, what is the current level of digitalization in logistics and transport and how it can impact travel experience? Let´s investigate a little more on this.
PAC has just recently researched the most innovative use cases for travel and transport sectors and evaluated portfolio and capabilities of the major vendors serving this segment in the report “Consulting and System Integration for IoT Solutions in Europe – Smart Transport – PAC Innovation Radar”. In this report, PAC highlights, several IoT use cases that can make transport and logistics smarter and that can provide better travel experience for the passengers. These include:
- Optimized flows of traffic and people, indoor and outdoor through connected assets such as video cameras, toll collection points, parking sensors, induction loops, displays and traffic signs
- Intelligent ticketing services and customer support for passengers through smart agents and ticketing machines including speech recognition, voice assistants and AI agents
- Smart deliveries and freight transport through condition monitoring of the transported assets and the new ways of delivery by means of drones or robot
- Better air and fuel consumption through fleet management
- Innovative mobility services such as multi-modal ticketing solutions for public transport, bike, car and truck sharing concepts
- Connected operations using real-time monitoring and predictive maintenance for fleets and their premises such as stations, airports and garages
So, according to this study, current innovations in travel and transport are dedicated to improved safety and efficiency, as well as a better passenger experience and quality of life.
Now or Next?
It would be interesting to see if these findings and smart transport use cases have been part of the real life travel experiences of MWC visitors when travelling to Barcelona. However, if you wish to learn more about these innovations, you can download here (pdf, 702.2 KB) the PAC report and learn more about the major vendors serving the smart transport segment and their customer solutions. Deutsche Telekom is one of them with most innovative offerings in the fields of Connected Mobility and Travel, Transport and Logistics.